Do I Need Planning Permission For A Development?

Not all modifications or developments need planning consent. (An exception is for Listed Buildings where most development needs consent and for properties within the Conservation Area– see below).

There is a helpful guide which looks at common domestic improvement projects (e.g. garage conversions, loft extensions, conservatories, etc) and provides guidance on whether or not they need planning consent. You can opens in a new windowaccess it here on a site called the Planning Portal. This site also provides opens in a new windowa way to submit planning applications on-line.

Conservation Area

Parts of Woodford Halse and Hinton are included in a conservation area. This affects what changes can be made to properties, fences and trees. You can find out which properties are affected and what the rules are here: Conservation Area page.

Listed Buildings

If you live in a Listed Building (you can find a list of all of them in the parish by searching for “Woodford Halse” or your post code on the  opens in a new windowHistoric England web site here.) then different rules apply. You will need Listed Building Consent if you want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest or if you want to demolish it. You may also need Listed Building Consent for works on any buildings within the grounds of a listed building. The Council for British Archaeology can advise on proposed work on listed buildings. Check the position carefully with West Northamptonshire Council.

It is a criminal offence to carry out work which needs Listed Building Consent without obtaining it beforehand.