How Do I Comment On Or Object To A Planning Application?

Who Can Comment?

Anybody can comment on or object to a planning application. You do not have to live nearby.

How To Comment

If you wish to comment on or object to an application you must write to, or email, West Northamptonshire Council Planning Department,quoting the planning application reference number.

You can comment individually BUT comments that are also supported by the Parish Council will have additional influence on the District Council, so it is a good idea to have the Parish Council on your side. Please send a copy of your concerns to opens in a new windowGary Smith, the Parish Clerk so that the Parish Council is aware of your views.

Valid Comments

Only certain things can be considered in relation to planning applications. Here are the most important reasons why a planning application might be refused and things that you might want to consider commenting on or objecting about:-

  • Highway safety and traffic generation, adequacy of parking, turning, loading access, especially where access/roads are unsuitable for the proposed development.
  • Loss of light, overshadowing, – dependent on the size/siting of the development to a neighbouring property’s principal windows (can they be directly looked into?).
  • Design/size/scale/materials of proposal in relation to the existing property, neighbouring properties and the general location.
  • Effect on or loss of protected trees or protected species of animals or other plants
  • Effect on listed buildings or a Conservation Area, impact on local archaeology.
  • Noise, fumes, smell, loss of privacy
  • Risk of flooding as a result of the proposal.
  • Loss of a valuable facility identified in the opens in a new windowlocal plan.
  • Hazardous materials

There are some things that may concern you about an application that cannot normally be considered as part of the planning process. These include:

  • Loss of view or aspect.
  • Personal matters relating to the specific applicant or the contractors / developers.
  • Effect on land or property values.
  • Personal taste with respect to the proposal.

If you have concerns about work that could affect listed buildings you can also contact the Council for British Archaeology, English Heritage or the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Buildings who are among various bodies with a role in advising on planning applications relating to listed buildings. You can find out more here: opens in a new windowCBA & Listed Buildings.